On June 29, 2021 Donald Rumslfeld, to the immense benefit of America, Humanity and Mother Earth, passed on to the Known Unknown we call death. Before that he did a bunch of politics, most notably as Secretary of Defense during the first Bush administration. During which time, on February 12 , 2002 he said, in response to increased pressure and pushback and outrage regarding all the many and substantiated reports coming back from Iraq that no Weapons Of Mass Destruction—the only other enjoyable byproduct of the war in Iraq that I’m aware (#39)—had been found because they didn’t exist and he but he was still trying to stall and lie about their fictional-ness.
“’Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don’t know we don’t know.”
In 2002 I was thirty-two years old and while I considered Donald Rumsfeld to be a deplorable monster, I was very very very very stoked on this new phrase-idea he had just introduced to me even though, at the time, I thought he was just making shit up and having fun with the english language in an effort obfuscate.
Turns out Philosophers and Navy Seals have known about Known Knowns, Known Unknowns and Unknown Unknowns for hundreds and hundreds of years because it’s a solid framework and/or way of thinking for stuff like Risk Assessment, Analytical Sciences and Mythical State of Philosophies including but not limited to Line Planning and Product Development.
Speaking of which, here are some products we’re currently working on regarding which we’d love your feedback. Please let us know what you think. Seriously, let’s get this Product Development conversation started.
- A denim hoodie because denim is durable and fashionable and everything should have a hood.
- A flap hat.
- Aftermarket pockets.
LINES ARE ABOUT FINDING THE CLEANEST, MOST CREATIVE AND COMPELLING ROUTE FROM A-B OR A-A OR A-C. THIS IS NOT AN FKT UNLESS YOU WANT IT TO BE. THIS IS ABOUT SELF EXPRESSION AND REALIZING WHATEVER CRITERIA IS IMPORTANT TO YOU AND YOUR CREW. SOMETIMES THAT CRITERIA IS A KNOWN KNOWN. SOMETIMES IT’S A KNOWN UNKNOWN. AND SOMETIMES IT’S A UNKNOWN UNKNOWN. SOMETIMES IT’S ABOUT WATCHING THE SUN COME UP OVER LOS ANGELES FROM THE TOP OF STRAWBERRY PEAK. THIS IS A PERMANENT. DO THE LINE, EARN THE PATCH. WE ALSO CACHED 3 DIFFERENT LIMITED EDITION NAGLENE BOTTLES W/ EXTRAS FOR INSPIRATION & REWARD.
- This is all about creativity and going Inside The Outside. MSO is mode—ATB, AT, BRVT, XC, ULTRA, RANDO, PRTL, TRNSCND, ETC.—agnostic. You can walk it, hike it, ski it, you can even drive (most of it) if you want to. Just make it hard and fun. Endurance is relative.
- Complete all seven MANDATORY checkpoints. Details below.
- Document each checkpoint. Will require some kind of camera, the ability to mediate and some very light illustrating.
- The order in which you complete each checkpoint (except of Start and Finish) is up to you—again, this is about creativity and problem solving and your preferred mode(s).
BETA YOU WILL NEED:
SCREENSHOT THIS CUE SHEET WITH CHECKPOINT AND CACHE DETAILS
- START: Rose Bowl Lot K—Take a selfie with the Inside the Outside sticker. MANDATORY *BEFORE
- Clear Creek / Josephine Saddle Road Gate—Take a selfie with the Inside the Outside sticker. MANDATORY
- Josephine Saddle Cache— Inside The Outside 480z Nalgene, stickers and Comfort With Discomfort ski straps.
- Yucca—Draw a Yucca Plant but use swords in place of the spears. MANDATORY
- Strawberry Peak—Take a selfie with the Inside the Outside sticker. MANDATORY
- Strawberry Peak—Meditate about how algorithms are killing creativity. MANDATORY
- Strawberry Peak Cache—PSME 32oz. narrow mouth Nalgene, stickers and Comfort With Discomfort ski straps.
- Redbox Bear Box—Take a selfie with the Inside the Outside sticker. MANDATORY
- Super Cloud Cache / Top of 7th Repel—New Hope 32oz. Nalgene, stickers and Comfort With Discomfort ski straps.
- FINISH: Rose Bowl Lot K MANDATORY *AFTER
- SUBMIT YOUR LINE: FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇 GET PATCH AND 50% DISCOUNT ON YOUR FIRST MSO ORDER.
Live Cache Status
COMPLETE THIS FORM AND UPLOAD YOUR SELFIES TO PROVE ROUTE COMPLETION:
STRAWBERRY PEAK IS SHAPED LIKE A STRAWBERRY.
YUCCAS ARE SHARP.
FOG IN THE MEADOWS.
IT WILL GO.
ON DECEMBER 15th, 2021 MSO COMPLETED THE STRAWBERRY PEAK LINE. THIS IS HOW WE DID IT. PLESE USE THIS FOR INSPIRATION.
Rose Bowl—JPL—ride up the Gab Trail to Clear Creek—crossover the 2—ride up Josephine Fireroad to Josephine Saddle—stash bike and gear—run/scramble/approach up the “mountaineers route” (look for cairns and painted arrows) to the top of Strawberry Peak—meditate at the top about how Algorithms are killing creativity—run/parkour over yuccas on the way back down—grab bike and gear–ride the singletrack around the back Strawberry through upper and lower meadows and Lawler’s saddle—cross the 2 at Redbox—ride the close road up to Mt Disappointment—disassemble your bike at the top of Supercloud and strap it to your pack—canyoneer your way down Supercloud—at the bottom hike out to the top of Gab—reassemble your bike and ride down the single track back to JPL and from there to the Rose Bowl.
PACKING LIST INSPIRATION BETA: *FOR OUR ROUTE
- Underbike: No suspension, drop bars strongly encouraged
- Mission Workshop X Afterschool Projects Toro Handlebar Bag
- Outershell Mini Saddlebag w/ski strap: Tube, PB Swiss 470 bike tool, patch kit, SILCA EOLO III CO2 Regulator Head, CO2 cartridge
- Mission Workshop Speedwell rucksack
- MSO Inside The Outside 48oz. Nalgene
- 10 Comfort with Discomfort ski straps
- Mission Workshop baselayers
- MSO Inside The Outside Long Sleeve
- District Vision Lono Tights
- District Vision Nagata Speed Blade Sunglasses
- Mission Workshop Acre Series Vest
- Mission Workshop Interval
- Salomon Speed Cross XC running shoes
- Climbing Gear
VISUAL INSPIRATION BETA:
More than a reliable purpose, a destination, or extensive provisioning, any Subject Athlete / Cardio Goth / Endurance Cult Member headed Inside The Outside requires for success in any endeavor or pursuit only a quality Blanket or Towel. Either can be fashioned into a jacket, as in a capote, or a cloak or cape. They can be used to wrap and therefore protect your valuables during travel, as well as camouflage said valuables regrettably but necessarily left overnight in an old car in a dimly lit motel parking lot. For drying, warmth and a place to sit and/or change pre-and-post hot spring, swim hole, hobo slap, etc. Or, as a bedroll; a napkin (albeit an oversized napkin); a pillow; a sack or makeshift bag; a brightly colored and nicely delineated picnic or lunch spot; for love-making; in defense against nearly feral or overly habituated animals; a lightweight saddle alternative; fire containment; and for bivouacking and/or enhancing an otherwise primitive shelter. For wound care and poultices. For protection against the elements like dust, wind, direct sunlight, etc., as well as volatile and/or tempestuous weather. For insulation, be it fixed, semi-permanent or temporary. To appear period-correct, if said period is the whole of the 1800s and/or right now. As a regular blanket and/or ad-hoc, burrito-style mummy bag. And finally, if need be, both can be soaked in various nutrients, broths, herbs and tinctures for later oral or topical application.