Calling us is great too because we WANT to really hear you and this way we can really do that. We love inflection, subtlety, tone, all of it. Pre-emoji vibes are the best. Feel free to ramble. FTR, we may (and probably will) publish your VM if it’s good. So make it good!
Performance Journalism™ about the culture of Bicycles, Sport and Other. YP = YJ + MFS + 🚲 + 😜 X PJ™
More than reliable transportation or a destination or extensive provisioning, any Performance Journalist™ worth their salt requires for success in any endeavor or pursuit only a quality Wool Blanket. Wool blankets can be fashioned into a jacket, as in a capote, or a cloak or cape. They can be used to wrap and therefore protect your valuables during travel as well as camouflage said valuables regrettably but necessarily left overnight in a car in a dimly lit motel parking lot. In place of an otherwise useless cotton towel pre-and-post hot spring, swim hole, hobo slap, etc. As a bedroll, a napkin (albeit an oversized napkin), a pillow, a sack or makeshift bag, a brightly colored and nicely delineated picnic or lunch spot, for love-making, in defense against nearly feral or overly habituated animals, a lightweight saddle alternative, fire containment and for bivouacking and/or enhancing an otherwise primitive shelter. For wound care and poultices. Protection against the elements like dust, wind, direct sunlight, etc., as well as volatile and/or tempestuous weather. Insulation be it fixed, semi-permanent or temporary. To appear Period Correct if which period is the whole of the 1800s. A blanket and/or ad-hoc burrito-style mummy bag. And finally, if need be, they can be soaked in various nutrients, broths, herbs and tinctures for later oral or topical application.
Daniel PasleyFounder, Editor, Contributor, Blogger
Kevin BrownPublisher, Web Editor, Interneter
Justin BalogCinematographer, Video Editor
Steve HockettIllustrator, Animator, UK Section Chief
THE SPECTACLE OF ROAD RACING→ Professional 🚴🏼♂️ is the finest, most beautiful, most relevant sport in the world and for many that’s as complicated and/or nuanced as the whole thing needs to get. But for us, for MFS, racing is more profound and, frankly, more interesting than a simple display of competition and speed. In service to this core belief which, here and now, we submit as a Universal Truth, we created an episodic multimedia documentary and contemporary study exalting Road Cycling for ALL that it is: ✨The ✨Greatest ✨Spectacle ✨On ✨Earth ✨
EXPLORATION, ENGAGEMENT, EDUCATION→ In partnership with NASA and the US Military this a reboot of Lewis & Clark. Our mandate: Explore, Engage, Educate. Our POV? Our modus operandi? Our raison d'être? D-i-s-c-o-v-e-r-y, discovery. From pseudo anthropology, interpretive cartography, field observations, illustrations, typologies, catalogs, terrestrial vs. galactic and bicycle-/non-bicycle-based adventure to Shackleton, Darwin, Captain Cook, we are the Corps of Discovery. 🌕🚀🚁🚲🛶🌍
THE CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY OF OTHER→ We are Cultural Anthropologists and Sportsmen compelled into the Wilderness to explore, document and publish a lasting and meaningful record of our experiences there. Through a collection of fictional and non-fictional multimedia we endeavor to understand and relate those people, places and pursuits the purview of Yonder. What is our purview? All things other. ///// Edges, Frontiers and Margins. Nerds & Warriors. The DTF. The Salty. W E 💖 O T H E R.
You can’t get this special edition bronze AWOL, but you can buy an AWOL, which is an ideally dependable/durable/doable do-everything rig for traipsing around New England.
1. Special Edition Bronze (it's really gold but we don’t want to let the thieves and leprechauns know that) — You can get an all black one though, which is pretty cool.
2. Capabilities: Adventure Do-Anything.
3. Climbs like Sir Edmund Hillary on Tenzig Norgay's shoulders.
4. Descends like a roller coaster safely on its rails, exciting the whole way.
1. Essential for carrying and preserving the thimbles of wine you need to carry on your Vermont bikepacking tour.
2. Everyone knows that one of, if not the most artisanal of products is wine. And there was no way we were going to visit America’s leading artisanal state without carrying some wine along with us. Our vessel of choice? The Bota Bag.
3. We purchased ours from a small outpost in Colombia but you needn’t go that far. I know that Bota Bags are readily available in small town bait shops and a hunting stores throughout the US. You know the places that have bins of crickets and smell like Power Bait? Yep, they’ve got Bota Bags, guaranteed.
MANUAL FOR SPEED SPACE TAPE
1. Hey, everyone knows that Yonder Journal and Manual for Speed are one and the same. Even Barack knows.
2. So it shouldn’t surprise anyone that when we wrap bars, we wrap bars with our tape. It doesn’t hurt that it is SO beautiful. You can get some, too.
SRAM FORCE 1
1. My friends, it is time that you freed yourself from they tyranny of a front derailleur! You no longer need to be a slave to the second shifter or at the the grinding mercy of cross-chaining!
2. The answer is 1x11.
3. Yes, all the gearing you need in a simple elegant one-shifter solution. Remember a time when your phone and voicemail were two separate things? Well the front derailiuer is soon to go the way of the answering machine. Don’t trust us, trust you.
PORCELAIN ROCKET MCA/FRAME BAG/MR. FUSION
1. Made in Canada, which is almost America.
2. The full frame bag has a huge capacity for gear. And the white/black color combination is ever so fetching.
3. The Mr. Fusion cradle system keeps the pack from swaying while giving users easy on/off capabilities. AND, when installing it, I for one have the sensation that I am loading a torpedo.
TUBELESS WHEELS & TIRES
1. MUST MUST MUST MUST
2. Do you feed your car hay? Do you watch TV by candlelight? Do you wakeboard behind a sailboat? No, so why would you put tubes in your tires? Get the net, the times have changed and so should you!
SEA TO SUMMIT STUFF SACKS
1. We don't use Sea to Summit stuff sacks because the sponsor us (they don't).
2. We use them because they work really really really well.
3. They've even got these amazing bags with eVent fabric on the end opposite the load hole, which allows air to flow out for maximum compression ability without sacrificing waterproofness. Kind of genius.
4. Sleeping bags, clothes, anything that needs to stay dry goes in one of these.